Sunday, November 7, 2010

Richard Wright and the Library Card

Richard Wright and the Library Card by William Miller, illustrated by Gregory Christie
Picture Book for children ages 8-13
4 out of 5 stars

As a boy, Richard Wright loved hearing the stories of his grandfather and mother, but was never taught to read stories of his own. When Richard did finally learn to read, he was unable to obtain a library card due to the color of his skin, but this did not stop Richard from finding ways to beat the system.
Richard Wright and the Library Card is a culturally conscious story that gives people a whole different perspective on what life would have been like being a black boy in the early 1900’s. This story would definitely be a “mirror” book, in regards to multicultural literacy, for me. This story provides an insight of the world of Richard Wright; a black boy who does not attend school, is refused a library card, and is discriminated against just for the color of his skin. Richard Wright lived the opposite life of me as a child. I learned to read early on, always had books on my bookshelf, started school when I was five, received my first library card at the age of seven, and never had someone judge my intelligence level based on the color of my skin. Because of these dramatic differences in lifestyles, I have learned to appreciate the wonderful life I lead in a whole different way. Just like Richard, I have always loved to read, but I have never been denied that opportunity.
I want to use this book in my classroom if I am teaching middle or upper elementary students. First, the reading of this story can provide a history lesson on the discrimination, from the government agencies even, against people of different races and different cultures in the past. Richard Wright and the Library Card also gives insight on the life of the famous Richard Wright, a man who became an excellent author even though he learned to read later in life than most individuals. The most important lesson from this book though is that of appreciation. I would like to read this book to my class and have them put themselves in the shoes of Richard Wright and think about what it would be like to be denied access to a library based solely on the color of their skin. Or what it would be like to have parents that cannot read very well, which ultimately affects the reading skills of the child. Although times can be hard for everyone, we must always remember to appreciate what we have and to never give up on our dreams. These important lessons can easily be taught from the storybook Richard Wright and the Library Card, which is why I want to use this book within my classroom.
Visit this website to learn more about the life of Richard Wright.

No comments:

Post a Comment